Dilemma: Network or Passion

Have you ever been in the position that you had an option, a choice, or a decision that you know would influence your way of thinking ? Were you in a networking event that you just wanted to get the business card of an influential individual rather than approaching a company that you know you have very strong interest in?

I was in a similar situation just 2 months ago. Here I was, being a budding student again with my fellow summer students and aspiring part-time school-goers. I was spoil for choice.

Option 1: Work with a very knowledgeable Individual that I was trying to build network with, BUT in a topic that I am relatively familiar with - Marketing.

Option 2: Taking the risk and taking a completely new field to me - Finance & Banking with a group of unproven individuals.

I took option 2. In hindsight, zero regrets. Mind you, option 1 was working in a particularly intellectual man, who has an MBA from Stanford, and has worked with Apple. Ideally, it would be nice if he were to lead the Option 2 topic.

To make the most out of it, which I did, my teammates were not especially sure of how and where to start. Using the basic concept of ironing out core principles, and as an engineer, we created a workflow that was so fitting to the theme of the night. With structure now in place, we were able to navigate through the topic swiftly.

The structure was to evaluate who ultimately manages the risk in the financial world. We spoke about evolution of banks, roles of central banks, credit agencies, legislation in place and finally shadow banking. Our approach was tending towards repealing the financial world altogether: radically discoursing central banks and eliminating shadow banks for the better good.

My learnings were three-fold at the end of the day.
1) Stepping into unfamiliar territory but forcing yourself to learn with a passion helps expedite learning
2) Leveraging on my network with a former banker in a investment bank helped understood the process better
3) To repeat is to master - I used my knowledge from my previous class in operational skills and presentation skills to create what I would call a 90% near-flawless presentation.

Moral of the story: To take risk with a passion is to enjoy a higher return and self-satisfaction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PaintBall ! !

1st week in uk

A special thank you to my daddy : )