A test of memory 1: 4 years of IC

My dad has been telling me this: Every night I try to keep my brain active by remembering numbers and writing it down.

Now, this prove ever important for a young man like me especially when I'm only at the beginning of my career. Memory, knowledge.... the importance of it in your workplace makes you stand out.

For example: I'm just blurting this out, oil palm production is on a CAGR 7.5% for the past 10 years and kernel oil is on 5.5% if I am not mistaken with hiccups during 1998 and the 2008-2009 period due to the financial crisis and the weather - La Nina and El Nino.

Anyway, this post is all about my 4 years in IC hopefully less than 200 words.

2007:
Dream of Imperial was floating away because :
1) I questioned Matar if I could switch courses after going in for first year
2) Chemistry was so difficult I couldn't even think of a way to answer it !
3) Well, no money no talk.

When everything fell into place (in ascending orders), acceptance to IC, Scholarship then getting the results needed, I was set for a journey of my life. Nevertheless, I owe this to my family (dad - for the push on scholarships, mom - for the independence I have achieved, bro & sis - for being supportive :) and my fantastic group of friends from school and A-levels.

Freshers camp was a good refresher before we went where I got to know many seniors and peers ! A perfect starting ground for any uk-bound students.

Arriving early in Sept 2007 after the sobs and hugs, I was ready for this new challenge. Daddy kindly arranged for us to stay with Alan (his childhood friend, can you believe it ! over 50 years of friendship) so we were there and got to know his family pretty well.

I moved into halls with Jun (Bruneian - to my fellow flatmate for 4 years), Stuart, JJ ... .can't remember the rest I'll be dead honest with you. 169 picaddily court N7 9BJ ? 1st year academically was fun and grueling: the usual long hours being an IC-ian working teams. My first teammates were Mithula, John Kung, Tomer, Anton, Alice. Pretty interesting stuff with John having the same surname as I do, and well, 6 different nationality in the same group ! Labs, Aspen, Maple, Process Synthesis went by very quickly. I was more into getting myself on any sports team then ! Playing for the IC badminton team (which turned out to be one of the best times of my playing career) and IC basketball team. Of course, not forgetting the IC Msoc basketball team where we whitewashed everyone !

2nd year looms, I regretted not applying to the US this time around as I deem my time in London has not been fulfilled. I have still, too many things to do ! So, 2nd year, same lab buddies and this is where memory fails me. I cannot recall what project we did. A lot of sports still but I toned down on basketball as I was not getting enough sleep ! This year highlights the time in Flat 4, 171 Cromwell road. 5 musketeers - me, JJ, Poh, Jun and Ming. We were now seniors and oh !!! Malaysian night. That was fun, I had to run here and there making sure I still made it for practices. Well, this summer was nice where I spent it working for Jerry together with Marc (who turns out to be a PhD material). Summer in London is always nice where you lie on the park and reading your books. Well, I won't have a chance to do that for awhile.

3rd year, where things get tough. Application for internships etc. Sad for me, this was the year I tore my ligament and it stalled my mobility and sporting career. Hmmph, mech design here was fun with Dave, Daphne, Wilson, damn !! I cant' remember the rest where we handed in first and got a day off. Well, marks were just 2:1 so nothing to complain about. This year, I deferred my operation date for my BP interview, which turned out successful ! So, I was BP bound and wanting to path my way to work in the UK. Owe this wonderful year to Audrey. I still ponder how we got together and remember clearly the day I surprise you at your place. Summer in Hull was more fun than work where I got to know Jumi, Ogaga, Mustapha, Richard to name the least. Living in a mansion, 6 bedrooms with 2 of everything from washer to sinks to ovens ! Now, that kinda house is where I want to live one day. Then setback, I failed to land the job offer and I walked myself from Waterloo to KGx to catch a train back to Hull. Next day, I bought a basketball just to get rid of my anger. This year was the highlight really: tore my ligament, met Audrey, got BP, repaired ligament, rejected from BP, started iconnect with WenQian. Wait, I think third year was where I worked with Ian, Khuz, Naresh and Cherry. Oh! and I was the Vice Chair for Industrial relations too. Last thing to add, this was when my sis visited and Profitunity too!

4th year, now this was the year of iconnect, design, jobs and research. My hat goes off to Norman, the one engineer that I've seen so good at everything, from creative writing to programming to statistics ! Man you are one hell of a guy. iconnect was amazing where I pretty much reunited everyone to be my marketing team (possibly 13 races from 20 countries) Then design, one of the best team work with Ian, Charles, Layo, Anton, Nana, Sarah B, Sarah Small and OTHMAN ! As a team, we roll. However, if you want to hire us, we can probably be the most price competitive with standard usable technology with great project management. Possibly one of the earliest to hand things in and the marks were all decent at 1st. Now, the say 4th year was a walk in the park but I felt my did more - non related to academic and non related to sports finally ! Launching pouchthis, working for Prof Clemens closes the 4th year chapter.

Well, I've written more than expected but not detailed to my liking. Lets revisit it again in the near future.

Yours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PaintBall ! !

A special thank you to my daddy : )

1st week in uk